It’s not everyday your son celebrates his 11th birthday, and so this week-end we feasted with all kinds of treats, including what I consider the easiest “birthday cupcakes.” What makes these special is that they have all of his favorites inside, including marshmallows and Oreos! The result is like a smores cupcake, gooey and delicious.
Did I mention this is the easiest chocolate cake or cupcake recipe ever? Adapted from a Hersheys recipe, the prep time is 15 minutes, and can be made with 2 bowls, a whisk and spatula. So easy, and completely foolproof! I added a bit more chocolate to give it a brownie-like consistency, and I replace half the boiling water with espresso, because coffee pairs so well with chocolate.
According to the Hershey’s site, this recipe can be used to make one pan cake (13 x 9 x 2), a two layer cake (9 ” round baking pans), a three layer cake (8″ round baking pans), or a Bundt cake (12 cup fluted tube pan.) Adjust baking times accordingly, from 30-35 minutes for the round baking pans, to 50 minutes for the larger Bundt cake.
Happy 11th Josh!!!!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1¾ cup spelt or all purpose flour
- ¾ cup cocoa
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water or (1/2 cup boiling water and ½ cup espresso)
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 10 Oreo cookies, chopped into pieces
- 4 tablespoons rainbow sprinkles
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- Prepare 2 muffin pans with liners and preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients ( sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt) till well blended.
- In a separate bowl, mix the milk, oil, eggs, and vanilla extract. Incorporate into the dry mixture and combine thoroughly.
- Add the cup of boiling water, or ½ cup boiling water and ½ espresso to the mix and combine till blended. (The batter is thin).
- In the microwave, heat ½ chocolate chips till melted, in 20 second increments, to avoid burning the chocolate. Add the melted chocolate to the batter.
- Add 2 tablespoons sprinkles to the batter and mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin pans and top each cupcake with Oreo pieces, mini marshmallows and remaining sprinkles.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until test knife comes out clean and allow to cool on a rack.