There are few winning combinations, peanut butter and chocolate, apple pie and vanilla ice cream, and my personal favorite, coffee and biscotti. It is a simple yet blissful pleasure. This perfect recipe from Bon Appetit makes 4 dozen biscotti, which is a good thing, because it is hard to stop once you get started on these. There is just something about cookies. Have you ever had just one?
Make sure to space the logs at least 2 1/2 inches apart as the dough spreads during baking. These are easier to slice when still warm. Waiting longer than 15 minutes may result in slices crumbling apart.
These biscotti start out firm but soften with the coffee’s heat, and just melt perfectly at each bite. Good luck keeping away!
- 1½ cups hazelnuts, toasted, husked
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- ⅔ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line heavy large baking sheet with parchment paper. Grind ½ cup toasted hazelnuts in processor. Set aside. Whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Beat butter and sugar in another large bowl to blend. Add eggs and vanilla and almond extracts and beat until well blended. Beat in flour mixture. Mix in 1 cup whole toasted hazelnuts, chocolate chips and ½ cup ground hazelnuts.
- Divide dough into 2 equal pieces. Shape each piece on baking sheet into 2½-inch-wide by 14-inch-long log. Place logs on prepared baking sheet, spacing 2½ inches apart (logs will spread during baking). Bake until logs feel firm when tops are gently pressed, about 35 minutes. Cool logs on baking sheet 15 minutes. Maintain oven temperature.
- Transfer baked logs to cutting board. Using serrated knife, cut warm logs crosswise into ½-inch-thick slices. Arrange slices, cut side down, on 2 baking sheets. Bake biscotti until firm, about 15 minutes. Transfer to racks and cool completely. (Chocolate-Hazelnut Biscotti can be prepared ahead. Store in airtight container up to 4 days, or wrap in foil and freeze in resealable plastic bags up to 3 weeks.)