This amazing fridge cake turned into bites because the mold I used was too large, and Jamie Oliver’s perfect slices just did not happen for me. I debated whether to even show this dessert, but the recipe and concept are so wonderful that I am hoping you will see past the way this looks and see the potential this dessert holds. It is sooo delicious, you don’t have to bake or use your stove to make it. All you need are a few bowls and a microwave, how easy it that? . You can interchange ingredients to whatever you have on hand. Of course, the flavor depends on the quality of your ingredients, so make it the best chocolate, your favorite biscuits, and enjoy the free time this dessert will leave you with, because it is a breeze to make!
Keys to success:
Break up the cookies and nuts into very small pieces to make your dessert easier to slice.
Line your container with extra cling film; it will make it easier to remove the cake from the mold.
- 200 g digestive biscuits finely chopped
- 110 g whole pecans, finely chopped
- 110 g pistachio nuts, peeled and chopped
- 10 glace cherries (you can replace with 20 dried sweetened cranberries as I did)
- 2 ready-made meringue nests, smashed up
- 150 g unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup (replace with honey, corn syrup or maple syrup)
- 200 g good-quality dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids)
- Break the biscuits into small pieces directly into a large bowl. Add the pecans, pistachio nuts, cherries and smashed meringue. Put the rest of the ingredients into a second, heatproof bowl and microwave until melted.
- Mix the contents of both bowls together and line a 12 x 8 inch container that will act as a mould, with clingfilm.Leave plenty of extra clingfilm at the edges to fold over the top. Now spoon the mixture into the container. Put into the fridge to firm up, then turn out , removing the clingfilm, and cut into chunky slices. You can top with cocoa powder or chocolate shavings.
- This cake can be kept in an airtight container for a few days and actually improves in flavour after a few days.
- If you're allergic to nuts then simply leave them out of the recipe.