These chocolate covered banana pops are an ideal dessert or after school snack. Vitamin packed thanks to the banana and pecans, and delicious thanks to the dark chocolate coating! I recently came across this recipe at the fabulous Italian Chips site and could not resist trying it myself. Thanks Ana, it’s a perfect summertime treat!
Freezing the bananas is key here. It makes them easier to handle when dipping and coating, and it gives them an ice cream like consistency once they begin to thaw. So delicious. Make sure the bananas you use are not too green as you want that sweetness they get when ripe. I used pecans but feel free to try peanuts, or almonds. I think I will dip them in milk chocolate and macadamia nuts next time!
Tip: These need to thaw for 10-15 minutes before eating.
- 3 medium ripe but firm bananas
- 8 oz dark chocolate
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- Peel 3 ripe bananas and cut into halves.
- Place the halves onto lollipop sticks and into the freezer in a single layer on a tray for 2 hours.
- Chop the pecans finely and place on a tray. Prepare a pan covered with wax paper for the dipped bananas.
- Once the bananas are ready to be dipped, melt the chocolate in a double boiler or a microwave, and pour into a tall glass (make sure chocolate is not too hot).
- Dip the bananas into the chocolate and roll into the nuts immediately as the chocolate begins to harden instantly. If the chocolate begins to set, pop into the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Allow to harden and serve or you can put these back in the freezer to snack on later. Make sure you thaw the bananas 10-15 minutes before serving as they need that time to soften a bit.