This portobello pizza is such an easy, guilt free lunch idea! Since I watch carbs as much as possible, pizza is not something I eat very often, and I miss it. Which is why I try to make lunches for myself that have the same cheesy taste without the dough element. Enter the portobello mushroom: a delicious base on which to layer your favorite cheeses and pizza toppings.
Give it a try, it is simple, fast, and tasty as part of a light lunch or appetizer.
- 6 Portobello mushrooms, stems and gills removed.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup marinara sauce, homemade or jarred
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup black olives, pitted and sliced
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- Preheat the oven on the broil setting.
- Generously coat the portobello mushroom caps with olive oil on both sides, and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the caps on a large baking tray and broil for 2-4 minutes per side.
- Remove the tray from the oven, and add the marinara sauce, cheese and olives.
- Broil for another 2 minutes till the cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Sprinkle with fresh chopped basil and serve!